Sunday, August 20, 2006

Natural "Birth Control"

Doctors need more training in natural birth control.

Well, duh. Didn't need a study to tell me that one.

Point 1: Most people refer to "natural family planning" or "natural family spacing" (or even "fertility awareness") rather than "natural birth control". That is not a term that you hear often.

Point 2: I think it's hillarious when people say "you can get pregnant while breastfeeding, you know". Well yes, but if your baby is under six months old and you are exculsively breastfeeding (and not sleep-training) you are about as likely to get pregnant as if you are on the pill. But you don't hear people warning each other "you can get pregnant on the pill, you know".

1 comment:

The Mommy Blawger said...

Statistically speaking, though, you are looking at 98% either way.

You can ovulate without menstruating, but can you menstruate without ovulating? I assume that if I am menstruating, then I am fertile, but I don't know.